Public WiFi is like good piece of cake. It’s hard to resist but has inherent danger (to your privacy, not your diet). As someone with computer security experience I am concerned that many public WiFi spots have inadequate security, making their use risky. I was never quite relaxed using coffee shop or library WiFi, always concerned a talented hacker could steal my data or worse, infect my computer with a virus. Even scarier is that hotel scammers are out there creating FAKE WiFi accounts to steal personal information.
While the option exists to install additional security software or use a Virtual Private Network, I wanted to have my own wireless broadband. Using my phone as a hot spot would exceed the contract’s data limit, so I need a different option. So, when the team behind the AT&T Unite (powered by Netgear) asked me to partner with them to share information about the product, I was very excited to have my mobile WiFi issues SOLVED! The AT&T Unite is a secure mobile hotspot that provides fast 4G LTE (where available) Internet access for up to 10 devices.
The AT&T Unite :
- Weighs only 4.2 ounces and has 2.4-inch touchscreen to monitor each connected device and shows battery life, signal strength, data usage, and more
- connect up to ten Wi-Fi enabled devices to wireless Internet.
- Has the ability to *block/unblock* specific WiFi devices from the Unite (which as a parent of a teen is a great option if needed!).
- 4G LTE network (where available)
- Up to ten hours without charging the battery.
- No software to install
- In the box: Unite mobile hotspot, rechargeable lithium ion battery, wall charger, USB cable, quick start guide, pre-installed SIM.
Many families use tablets, laptops, e-Readers and other devices requiring mobile internet access. The AT&T Unite enables families to have consistent and reliable mobile internet connection without the worry of finding public WiFi hot spots. For me, a mobile hotspot helps me get work done when ever I have a free moment, even sitting on a park bench waiting for baseball practice to end. In a business setting, a mobile hotspot get’s me online without concern for the slow response at hotels and conferences. I always have access to my own fast internet connection!
- The AT&T Unite is also easy to use. Here are the easy steps (from the documentation) that I followed to get up and running quickly:
Press and hold the Unite power button (appx. 4 sec)
- Once Unite is powered on with homescreen visible, open the network manager on your tablet or laptop.
- Select Unite-XXXX from the list of available networks. Enter the password shown on your Unite homescreen.
- NOTE: After first connection, your tablet or laptop will remember the connection information and automatically connect to the Unite network in the future.
The AT&T Unite is also budget friendly. Currently for only $0.99 (yes 99 cents) with a 2 year contract and only $20 month on a mobile data share plans. Individual DataConnect plans are $50 a month for 5GB. Using a Data Usage Calculator, the information stated what 5GB “could” accomplish in a month (all of these together add up to 5GB):
- 8,000 emails (25% with attachment)
- 150 hours web surfing
- 500 social posts with photo
- 4 hours HD video streaming
- 100 song downloads
Now that I am have my mobile hotspot I will be able to make better use of my time outside the house. Follow me over the next few months as I share my adventures with the AT&T Unite.
Disclosure: This is a sponsored post. I received an AT&T Unite as part of my sponsorship. My words are my own.