While I am in the middle of posting about the Tablets (small hand held computing devices) I saw at CES, it seems a little meeting tomorrow (Jan. 27) is producing a huge amount of buzz: Apple is having a meeting for media Jan. 27 10am pst. The rumors are rampad – but it seems that many believe Apple will be announcing specifics on the Apple Tablet. Rumors are also being spread on the Internet about the specific name of the Apple Tablet; two of them are iPad, iSlate or just Apple Tablet. PC World posted that the Apple Gadget will have a 10 inch touch screen. MacRumors discussed that the Apple Tablet will have a front facing webcam and optional 3G connectivity.
I am also keeping my eye on the Apple PR web page. Currently their most recent announcement is the First Quarter results; The Apple press release states “revenue of $15.68 billion and a net quarterly profit of $3.38 billion, or $3.67 per diluted share….Apple sold 3.36 million Macintosh® computers during the quarter,
representing a 33 percent unit increase over the year-ago quarter. The
Company sold 8.7 million iPhones in the quarter, representing 100
percent unit growth over the year-ago quarter. Apple sold 21 million
iPods during the quarter, representing an eight percent unit decline
from the year-ago quarter.”
While the Apple Media meeting is in Cupertino, I will be doing some work with my Silicon Valley Moms Group buddies in Silicon Valley. So I will be amoungst the ranks glued to their computers tomorrow to find out details. Luckily I am in touch with some of my amazing tech bloggers buddies and saw details on other tech sites of who will not only be there, but will be covering the Apple Jan. 27 press conference live. I also saw many posts and interesting discussions about the Apple Tablet on Techmeme.
1. PaidContent.org has a post titled “Three Things Apple Needs To Do To Make Its Tablet A Breakthrough Device” (TechMeme post). I agree that a new media device with a user friendly graphical user interface would be very successful.
2. New York Times post “With Apple Tablet, Print Media Hope for a Payday” (Techmeme post) that the Apple Tablet may be a good way for publishers to charge for content. I have said on numerous posts that I am happy to pay for electronic book content, I want to support book authors and publishers getting paid so we keep the flow of books coming.
3. In the “it’s all about the apps baby” category I saw an interesting post by Robert Scoble titled “Developers: the Apple tablet press announcements start” that discusses application development for the Apple Tablet, including the news that developer tool/platform Appcelerator will be announcing support for the Apple Tablet.
Here are good sites to follow Jan. 27 for live updates on the Apple media event and a mock-up PICTURE of the Apple Tablet that I have seen multiple sites post via Gizmodo.
SITES TO WATCH WITH COVERAGE OF APPLE TABLET MEDIA EVENT:
1. Ubergizmo is covering the event live.
2. Gizmodo has a “mock-up” picture of what the Apple Tablet may look like and will be covering the media event live (click here to view the Gizmodo live website). This Apple Tablet picture has been posted on many other sites so I decided to post it as well (giving credit to Gizmodo of course!). Ok, this does look very cool – even for a mock-up…
3. TechCrunch posted about the potential that the Barnes & Noble bookstore will be built into the Apple Tablet, and will be covering the media event.
4. VentureBeat will surely have interesting commentary.
5. Engadget will be covering the media event live.
6. PC World has the Geek’s Guide to the Apple Tablet event coverage.
PC World and VentureBeat posted with this picture of what the Apple Tablet may look like? Who knows – at least we will find out tomorrow (and I can’t wait!).