I have been reading about youngin's getting bothered about "creepy" elders hanging out in their Facebook turf. First the article "OMG my mom joined Facebook" by New York Times Cyberfamilias columnist Michelle Slatalla. Then articles like "Teens to parents: It's our Facebook" by Janet Kornblum of USA TODAY.
But yesterday's article in the New York Times titled "73 and Loaded with Friends on Facebook" pushed me over the edge. A daughter, after being upset about her mother "friending" a girl on Facebook that was 18, started a Facebook group called "Over 40 is Facebook Creepy".
First of all, 40 is NOT old (not that I am taking that personally). Second of all, the "not highschool, not college" age people may just be using Facebook for, um,
SOCIAL NETWORKING WITH EACH OTHER, not spying. I am enjoying having a Facebook profile because it allows me to network with a cross section of my friends, from business associates to preschool mom friends. I have no interest in becoming "friends" with my kids or their friends on Facebook. Infact, I think THAT is creepy. As Martha said in a previous post about Facebook, she did not attempt to contact any of her kids friends.
Can't we all just co-exist? If not, maybe some ground rules should be set to help everyone get along. Because moms are good at making rules, I think it is appropriate that we set them:
- KIDS – have fun in Facebook – just don't post anything that you don't want your future employer reading. And only make "friends" with people you know or have a connection with. Better yet, read the Five Things to Think About When Using Facebook from the IT Department from Cornell.
- PARENTS – Have fun social networking on Facebook, but don't attempt to be "friends" with your kids. But if they hear that you are beating out all of your friends playing Scrabulous (J,S,J &G) and want to challenge you, make sure you remind them that "they" are initiating the friend invitation.
I wanted to see if anyone actually joined the "over 40 is "facebook creepy" Facebook group and saw there were 49 members. Then I saw some other groups where the kiddies who started the group where not using their manners:
- Facebook is not MySpace, Biotches!!!! with 27 members
- WHY do old people have facebook?? with 22 members
- Death To Creepy Ass Mother F**kers That Message You On Facebook!! with 12 members
And no, I did not attempt to join those groups. But I decided to create my own with help from my not creepy friends (that are close to or over 40) and are only interested in Facebook for social networking with their friends.
Should it be:
- Not Creepy Over 40
- Biotches with No Interest In Social Networking with Kids
- The Kick Arse Moms Social Network Group (no kids allowed)
- *** Please fill comment with your own suggestions..