Matt Richtel of the New York Times wrote an article titled "The Graying Of the Web" that discussed the social networking sites aimed at baby boomers and graying computer users. The sites mentioned in the article were:
- Maya’s Mom – I am not only a fan of Maya’s Mom but am also a member. This company was founded by Silicon Valley momtrepreneur Ann Crady. Maya’s Mom was just sold to Johnson & Johnson. I view Maya’s Mom not just as a site for baby boomers or graying computer users – but moms of all ages.
- Eons – Gathering place for people lovin’ life on the flip side of 50.
- Rezoom – The ageless generation.
- Multiply – Share digital media
- Boomj – Social and Lifestyle network for Baby Boomers
- Boomertown – Social networking for those 50 and over..
I have not used the other sites but may take a look. I am a big fan of Facebook, I joined and am happy to have found many of my (female and male) friends on the site. So I would not call these other sites Facebook with wrinkles, because I think Facebook can be used for young and old social networkers. But there is value in sites that specialize in specific demographics. I am also partial to mom blogs, especially in Silicon Valley, Chicago or DC Metro!